background1

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hooray

Hooray, a blog! I haven't done this since I was an idealistic college kid, so this should be interesting to say the very least.

I love being a mom. It is absolutely the greatest joy in my life to have my two little guys. And I want to make their childhood something special, so that when they are grown men, they can look back and say, "yeah. I really liked that stuff my family did together," or something of that nature. I want them to look back and have more fond memories than bad. So, there are times when I go overboard with the whole idea, and of course, there are times when it all turns out just the way I had envisioned.

This year, I was all about starting traditions. We have our little family now all in place, and I thought.... Christmas is a good time for traditions. My favorite idea was to put silly string in everyone's stocking, and after presents were opened Chistmas morning, we would have a silly string fight. In theory, this was a marvelous idea because a) it's messy, b) it's easy to clean up. You just let it dry and then wipe and vacuum it off, and c) i defy anyone to squirt silly string at another person, and not laugh about it. So, great idea, right? Uh... well... maybe.

It would seem that Lucas' can of silly string was defective, so I selflessly gave him mine (I can't send my child into battle unarmed!). He looked at Matt, pointed the can at him, and depressed the nozzle. Only the nozzle was turned. Towards Jacob. Who took a direct stream of green silly string to the face. And it wasn't just one shot, either. Oh, no. Lucas had tunnel vision on Matt, who was, for some reason unbeknownst to Lucas, dissappointingly devoid of green goop. His solution? Press the nozzle down harder. And so, Jacob's entire face became encrusted in green silly string.

Fear not, the tot did not ingest or aspirate any thing he shouldn't have. And once he was over the initial shock and scare of it, he was a very good little sport, especially as the mishap ended in a shower and cuddle time with mommy, which happens to be two of his favorite things, right behind food, and jumping.

I wish I could say that I had the presence of mind to have taken pictures, or better yet video, of the entire debacle as we would have surely been $10,000 richer courtesy of AFV, but I was alternating between laughter and horror at the scene. And somehow, I don't think Jacob is willing to reenact it. But it is a memory that will have me chuckling for quite some time to come. Like I said... sometimes it turns out just the way I want it. Sometimes.... not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment